HOME

ABOUT US

LATEX ALLERGY INFO

RESTAURANTS

LATEX STORIES

SIGN THE PETITION

TELL YOUR STORY

OUR ADVOCATES

ALLERGY ASSOCIATION

CONTACT US

 

    

Latex Allergy Stories

Tell Your Latex Allergy Story


The best way for the world to understand the severity of a Latex allergy is for everyone to hear what those suffering from the allergy go through. Read the stories below written by people who suffer from allergic reactions to Latex and comments by those who advocate change.

 

Currently, 181 people have submitted stories or comments.

 

< Previous Page        Next Page>

1  | 2  | 3  | 4  | 5  | 6  | 7  | 8  | 9  | 10  | 11  | 12  | 13  | 14  | 15  | 16  | 17  | 18  | 19  | 

Joanne Halvorsen: Calgary, Alberta

Allergic

My latex allergy was caused from over exposure to balloons using them with children's programs.Just yesterday I tried to go to a party at a friends house but I couldn't even get up to the lawn, balloons were outside advertising, immediately my tongue started to swell that was my warning. It is air born with me. I will go anaphylactic and use epi pin and right to the hospital. Just to let people know, Kiwi, nutmeg,pineapple etc are very bad for the protein that is used in balloons.Most plantation fruits the outside of shell is used for balloons etc. Just go on line type in Latex - Kiwi and you will get your answer. It is very deadly for me being air born. Thank you

 

Linda Nicholas: Pontoon Beach, Illinois

Allergic

I was a Respiratory Therapist for over 20 years before I became allergic to Latex. Within 2.5 years I could not tolerate the air in the hospital. I was denied workman's comp because I didn't file as soon as the allergy started. I've been trying to get disability, but because the testing is still not reliable I have a false negative and social security views me as not allergic. When I eat somewhere where latex gloves (or other utensils containing latex) have been used it is like I have food poisoning for 12 hours and it starts nearly immediately. Rubber barrel pens caused my skin to fall off. In stores selling tires, rubber soled shoes or other rubber products it triggers asthma attacks and open sores inside my nostrils. I can't wear clothing with spandex. I'll itch and sometimes break out in hives.

 

barbie mckendree: benton, ky

Allergic

10yrs working in the dental field. Knew I was allergic to latex. But no one told me it could lead to type 1 airborne. If I had know maybe I could've prevented damage to my lung. Maybe I could leave my home. Maybe. Why isn't this taught?. Why does every Dr not believe it's real?

 

L Navarrete : San Diego , Ca

Allergic

I have recently developed the more serious type 1 reaction to latex. Since I'm a stay at home mom one of my responsibilities is to shop for groceries for the family. I have currently had problems with walking into a store where there are latex balloons are on display. Sometimes in places I wouldn't expect to see them. Or where I may not see them in advance. I have asked management in these stores multiple times to not have latex balloons on display because of the seriousness of my allergy and that I shop there regularly. My requests are not taken seriously and I will advise anybody that shops at Albertsons and/or Sprouts to be very cautious. The last thing I would ever want is to walk into some balloons that I didn't see in advance and go into anaphylactic shock and possibly die in front of my 3 young children while grocery shopping. I hope that we can make any changes so stuff like this would be prevented. Three children losing their mother to ignorance is very sad.

 

Annette lynch: Port Huron, MI

Allergic

I have a hypersensitivity to latex, blood test do not reveal my allergies (which also includes many foods and bees/hornets). I am unable to work due to use of rubber bands in my office, rubber coating on computer cables, and so forth. I'm current fighting workmans comp as I was denied my long term disability. I have to call restaurants in advance to insure my safety to eat there. Unable to go into most stores. Not an easy life.

 

Linda Johnson: Etiwanda, Ca

Allergic

I first noticed symptoms around latex balloons about 10yrs.ago. I then began to get rashes around my breasts when my bras were new. I occasionally will become itchy in same areas if I wear newer gym clothes or wear them for more than a couple of hours. When the gym I've belonged to for years(The Claremont Club) began to replace the work out balls I had to stay away from them. Now they are replacing the floors with rubber containing materials and after my workouts I am tired, achy and my chest feels tight. I have brought this to the attention of the CEO and he has made it clear that the rest of the flooring will be replaced by Sep. with the rubber containing material. I will more than likely have to give up my membership. A couple other members that I know have brought this to the attention of the CEO as well but he is not interested in alternative flooring. It is a very real issue that is not understood by many. I have been wondering if many people who just don't feel good working out feel that way from the exposure to latex rubber containing materials in the gym and aren't aware of it.

 

Jennifer Joiner: Tucker, GA

Allergic

If nothing else, it would be great to have all products that contain latex labeled just like other allergies. I work as a teacher and I cannot tell you the number of times that I have had to not attend "parties" and dances because of the fear of latex balloons. I have had terrible reactions to prizes given to students. I just cannot seem to be taken seriously by my coworkers and other people that come into the building. With school supplies, it is impossible for me to get a completely latex-free building let alone a latex-free classroom. I do feel that at some point, my allergy will become so bad that I will have to quit being a teacher because a classroom will never be completely latex-free. People without allergies have absolutely no concept of how dangerous it can be for me.

 

Angela Lauricella: Margate, FL Florida

Allergic

I have been dealing with latex allergies since 17 years old when I started my nursing career. It has gotten worse over the years now I cant even be around balloons or have my non latex gloves near latex gloves. Its very frustrating. To find out how many products and foods may trigger a reaction this scares me. I hope that more people will be aware of this and stop making products with latex .

 

Erin/Anne Mcevoy: garden city, new york

My mom has a severe latex allergy. I have seen her suffer and not be able to breath. She can die from latex. We need to abolish latex gloves from preparing food. We need to abolish latex everywhere.

 

Kristeen Davis: Salem, Oregon

Allergic

Because I was exposed to so often for the first seven years of my life when I was in and out of the hospital and doctor's offices, I developed this allergy. It didn't become apparent until I was 12 years old. Since then my reactions have gotten worse the more I am exposed to it. At first it was just an allergic contact dermatitis problem and then after I became an adult and was exposed to it even more, when I breathed air contaminated with latex, I developed allergic rhinitis. When this happens my throat swells closed and my eyes, nose (which causes it to start running), and tongue / mouth begin to itch. At this point I immediately take liquid Benadryl and leave work, or where-ever I'm at, and go straight home. I've carried an Epi-pen with me for years and have yet to use it. When latex products touch my skin, that area swells, becomes irritated, cracks, and bleeds. My reactions from physical contact doesn't worry me; however just walking by a store front with latex balloons, or even Poinsettia's, out front (on the sidewalk, near the entrance, etc) sets off my allergy. During the Christmas holidays I am even more limited of where I can go because of the Poinsettia plant. I don't even have to touch it and I have a bad reaction. Just breathing the air when the plant is in bloom is enough to make my throat start to close, and my eyes, nose, tongue, and mouth to start itching. Latex can kill me. If I go into anaphylaxis shock and do not use my Epi-pen, I will die. This product and the lack of empathy many business owners / employers (even after being educated about the situation) have regarding this allergy is mind-boggling.

 

Home |Sitemap | Contact Us

Copyright 2017