HOME

ABOUT US

LATEX ALLERGY INFO

RESTAURANTS

LATEX STORIES

SIGN THE PETITION

TELL YOUR STORY

OUR ADVOCATES

ALLERGY ASSOCIATION

CONTACT US

 

    

Latex Allergy Stories

Tell Your Latex Allergy Story


The best way for the world to understand the severity of a Latex allergy is for everyone to hear what those suffering from the allergy go through. Read the stories below written by people who suffer from allergic reactions to Latex and comments by those who advocate change.

 

Currently, 180 people have submitted stories or comments.

 

< Previous Page        Next Page>

1  | 2  | 3  | 4  | 5  | 6  | 7  | 8  | 9  | 10  | 11  | 12  | 13  | 14  | 15  | 16  | 17  | 18  | 

dana meyers: tarverse city, michigan

Allergic

i have had multiple surgeries dur to club feet, i now work in surgery and need a latex free environment, our hospital is not yet latex free and we arent moving fast enough for me, doctors and patients.

 

Karen Grecco: Waterbury, CT.

Allergic

I am an R.N.who has a severe allergy to latex. I developed the allergy while working in a hospital for eighteen years. The allergy started with a rash on my hands that was so bad my hands would bleed.The allergy gradually progressed to my lungs where I now have asthma and have to use inhalers.I was unable to continue working in the hospital as they were unable to accommadate me into a safer environment. I can't even eat in certain restaurants because they prepare the food with the latex gloves and I will have an immediate reaction. You need to be your own advocate to this allergy and educate people as much as you can about this life threatening allergy. There is not enough knowledge out there in the community in regards to this allergy. Most people just don't know what latex really is and that it can actually kill you. They don't relize the impact it has on your day to day life. I had someone say to me once just take a benadryl and you'll be fine. We always have to be alert and aware of our surroundings as it can cost us our life. We can never let our guard down as we always have to be on the look out for latex gloves or balloons no matter where we are. Having a latex allergy not only changes our lives but our family as well. People just do not take this allergy serious. Every month there is an awareness for something of importance that is advertised on TV to promote good health and prevention. But what about National Latex Allergy Month. We do have Latex Allergy Awareness Week October 5-11, it's only a week. I have not seen one commercial or advertisement stating it was latex allergy awareness week. Its not on any billboards. They say the only way to treat a latex allergy is to prevent it. Thats why I beleive more publicity needs to be emphasized on what this allergy is, how it affects people, why it is a danger to be around, and where can people go to be educated.

 

Jeremy Stevens: Marina Del Rey, CA

Allergic

I am a Registered Nurse who works in the emergency room who has multiple anaphylactic allergies to foods, insect stings and through the years, now have developed a type IV sensitivity to latex. Especially working in the environment I do, as well as in a variety of settings, I see/hear and witness many reactions. I also first-handedly bear witness to healthcare worker's reactions to patients with multiple triggers, including latex. It disgusts me the culture in some areas of this country (notably socal) is to still utilize latex, but maintain a latex free cart. This is not enough and actually not cost-effective, as many studies have shown. I fully advocate latex free facilities, since I am writing this from my hospital bed where i was admitted after another exposure, and yes, it gets worse each time. I dpn't want to lose my job opportunities I trained long and hard for just because someone thinks they will save a few bucks by maintaining the status-quo. This is so preventable, it sickens me the resistance and stigma attached to these allergies.

 

Kimberly Handley: Northville, MI

Allergic

At nearly 50 years old, I've been recently diagnosed with a Level IV Latex Allergy. I am officially a Medic Alert Bracelet wearing; EPI-Pen carrying (2 - in case the medics don't show before I get a second reaction) woman. I'm unable to shop in sporting goods stores or automotive stores/sections or even a store that specializes in undergarments because my throat swells. I've also found that MANY restaurants use LATEX. I have to call and ask them to read the glove box to me before I ever walk in the door. I can't wear cheap shoes with 'rubber' soles and have issues finding under garments that don't make me break out. I have been 'warned' to AVOID Balloons, due to the latex dust as well as all other latex products or products that contain latex. Tennis shoes are very difficult to locate as there are very few made of synthetic rubber. I have some minor food allergies (avocado, apple, celery, grapes, pineapple) that I have to watch out not to eat too much of them at once, or too many of them together. I've never had any of these until now. There are so many industries/people that have no idea how great impact latex has on those who have been sensitized to it.

 

Michele Wyllie: Babylon, NY

Allergic

I first noticed this allergy as a real health concern when I changed a central line dressing. There were latex gloves in the kit and apparently a piece of the powder landed in my eye. The eye swelled up and I was required to go to the ophalmologist immediately. Steroid orally and drops were ordered. It took a few days for my eye to return to normal. I have had breathing trouble and swelling of my throat from being in a room with balloons. This alergy has been part of my life for about 8 years now. I realized that I was getting stomach problems with severe cramping and nausea from dining out. I now know I can not eat at any restraurants that use latex gloves. It is extremely difficult in NYC and when traveling. I recently stayed in an Omni Hotel in Dallas for business but could not eat their food because they use latex gloves in the kitchen. I would love to see a list of restaurants that are latex free in LI NY.

 

megan lockwood: brattleboro, vt

Allergic

Both of my older sisters and I played with latex gloves as small children (our mother was a nurse and none of us knew the risk). All three of us girls now face countless allergies due to latex and cross latex allergies. all of us have been brought to the hospital in anaphalactic shock used countless epi-pens and dealt with any number of challenges. my number one message to others is avoid latex, especially in small children if you possibly can. It may take many years but the possible ramifications are at the worst lethal and best, highly resrtictive (elliminating all fruits and nuts from your diets)

 

Karen Shuster: avon, ohio

Allergic

My reaction to latex has been primarily after the use of latex gloves. Upon removal, my hands are red and will burn when I wash with soap. The next day small blisters are present and my hands are slightly swollen. The reaction will subside when away from work for a few days. This has forced my to change my practice as a critical care RN, I think before I perform nursing care. If the task does not expose me to large amounts of bodily fluid or hazardous material, I go COMMANDO- NO GLOVES and proceed to wash afterwards. Sorry JCAHO.

 

NORAH DAVIS: BLOEMFONTEIN, FREE STATE

Allergic

I ONLY 20 WHEN I STARTED HAVING SEX AND AFTER THAT I HAD VIGINAL INFECTIONS AND I WAS BURNING FOR SOME TIME THEN I USED THE ALLEGEX AND ANTI BIOTICS AS MY MEDICATION AND THEN THE PROBLEM JUST BECAME WORSE WHEN I HAD THE INTERCOUSE FOR THE SECOND TIME AND FROM THEN I REALISED THAT I HAD A PROBLE BUT FROM THEN I NEVER HAD ANY SEXUAL INTERCOUSE COZ I CANT BE USING LATEX CONDOMS.SINCE THERE IS NO CURE I STAYED AWAY FROM LATEX.

 

Joy Moreau: Lubbock, TX

Allergic

I have been a nurse since 1986 and did not realize the the redness on my hand was latex allergy. I just thought it was the soap or powder. The allergy started with mild reddness, then itiching of eyes then full anaphylaxis. It took several years to hit full anaphylixis, a week in ICU and a near death expirence was alarming for me and my family. I am now severely allergic to latex paint. Sounds simple but rarely do bussiness place notes that painting is occuring. I never can do to Lowes or home depot except on line. I now fear ballons, paint and gloves. My hospital is latex free and I wish i could make all hospitals latex free. I fear there will be many more like me.

 

Stacy Karr: Cleveland, OH

Allergic

While I hae been allergic to banana and avocado for over 20 years, I only became allergic to latex about three years ago. This was a direct result of a flood at my family business. The contamination and the cleanup left me sick for about 6 months. Since the cleanup involved sealing the drywall in the basement with a latex compound I have been unable to return to the business (which I started with my mom!) and have since found other employment. My latex allergy went from bad to life-threatening after eating a salad that had been prepared with powdered latex gloves. I now react to any trace of latex in food and proximity to natural rubber. Shoe shopping is a nightmare and kids with balloons scare me!

 

Home |Sitemap | Contact Us

Copyright 2017