HOME

ABOUT US

LATEX ALLERGY INFO

RESTAURANTS

LATEX STORIES

SIGN THE PETITION

TELL YOUR STORY

OUR ADVOCATES

ALLERGY ASSOCIATION

CONTACT US

 

    

Latex Allergy Stories

Tell Your Latex Allergy Story


The best way for the world to understand the severity of a Latex allergy is for everyone to hear what those suffering from the allergy go through. Read the stories below written by people who suffer from allergic reactions to Latex and comments by those who advocate change.

 

Currently, 182 people have submitted stories or comments.

 

< Previous Page        Next Page>

1  | 2  | 3  | 4  | 5  | 6  | 7  | 8  | 9  | 10  | 11  | 12  | 13  | 14  | 15  | 16  | 17  | 18  | 19  | 

Veronica Castellana: Tampa, Florida

Allergic

My mother was allergic to latex, my father is allergic to latex and I am allergic to latex. I have a hypersensitivity which is the highest form of the allergy. It starts with a sensitivity, then an allergy and then if you make it that far in life, a hypersensitivity. Exposure to latex is what makes it worse. If we all band together to get rid of latex by collecting signatures and stories, we can get rid of latex in our restaurants, hotels, homes, products, GYMS, our children's playgrounds, and many other places including hospitals. I have not been able to walk into a hospital for fear of having a reaction again. This disease is very hard to live with. It is easy to change the world, we just need to actually want to do it. Let's band together now and get it done! Thank you Ryan for making this Web site for me and for others with this disease. My full story is on a different section of this site. Let me know what you think.

 

Dorothea Guzman: Northlake, IL

Allergic

I first found out I was allergic to Latex when I was in a dentist's office. I had a root canal done which infected and I had to go back daily to get it lavaged. One day, immediately after treatment, my jaw and neck started to itch and when I rubbed them became very red. Then my nose began to discharge and my throat became scratchy. I was at the receptionist desk at the time. She noticed what was happening to me and got the dentist. He said to call 911. Then it was becoming difficult to breathe. I was taken to the nearest ER and treated for allergic reaction. Later I had a Latex allergy blood test and it revealed moderate to severe sensitivity.

 

Heather Hurlock: Camden, IN

My daughter started having odd allergic reactions around the age of three. We went through two years of testing to be told she was allergic to "nothing". Yet the doctors could SEE it with their own eyes - she tested negative. They put her on allergy meds and steroids to take the inflammation down. She had been SO good at the hospital once that on the way home I bought her a balloon kit. Well, mystery solved. Within 30 minutes the ambulance was at our house. Her face and throat swelled nearly shut. We are really fortunate that her school takes this very seriously and our hospital and doctors have kept her very safe. We also have a lot of restaurants that we can eat at. It saddens me to see people in other parts of this county don't get this same treatment. My daughters school even dumped all latex supplies and replaced them with non latex ones. Donated all balls to another school and bought PVC ones for ours. I never realize just how lucky we were until reading this site. I'm so sorry for you all.

 

Sheena Graham: West Haven, Connecticut

Allergic

4 years ago this was my description:I'm a 43 year old female public school teacher diagnosed 3 yrs ago. I do not have to touch items with latex/rubber in them, I simply have to breathe the air they pass through and I can have an anaphylaxis reaction and die. The worse offenders are latex balloons and gloves. Bowling alleys, malls, car dealerships, etc...all part of my past. Everyday items have become a threat and its getting worse. I became this way by having surgery, (2 c-sections and tumors removed twice!) Taking my children to the doctor literally makes me sick. It has been a mind boggling 3 years. Reactions for me begain as hives, welts, runny nose, sneezing, itching and swelling AND progressed rapidly to anaphylaxis. I've searched the archives of Oprah, Dr. Phill and numerous others. No one talks about this. The medical field created me and seems to have no solution for me. This illness is tearing my family apart. Simple events are a challenge. My 6 year old has decided life is not worth living anymore (balloons were in his school one day and I had a reaction to what was in his clothing!)Frustration and change of lifestyle has added tremendous physical weight to everyone. My husband does not understand. My FAITH in God is ALL that is keeping me alive. UPDATE: My husband has been gone since 11-06, my children are with me. I am fighting to keep my job due to an administrator who does not understand the allergy and is not willing to accomodate me. I have a monthly bill for a medical alert service in case I stop breathing. I have developed environmental allergies. Rather than lose my mind completely, I pray,write and do creative presentations to promote latex allergy awareness. If I can be of service or support to anyone out there, feel free to contact me: sheeniquek@comcast.net

 

Andrea Riddell: Nicholasville, Kentucky

Allergic

I am highly allergic to latex. I can no longer attend school on campus due to it. I had to quit working due to latex in the building, balloons at orientations and the carpets or plants that can cause cross reactions. I have now developed cross-reactive food allergies. I can no longer eat tomatoes, bananas and the like. I can not eat most prepared frozen foods due to cross contamination in the processing of the foods, latex glove use. Gloves and rubber bands actually burn blisters on my skin when I come in contact. This is a 100% preventable allergy and it is frustrating that the public isn't as cooperative when it comes to this type of allergy as they are with peanut allergies and the like. This allergy is going to effect more and more people until others take it seriously.

 

JO DWOBENG: PHILA., PA

Allergic

AFTER BEING ADMITTED FOR PNEUMONIA. THE STAFF THEN CAUSED ME TO HAVE A LATEX REACTION ON MY WAY TO A TEST THE HIVES AND BREATHING PROBLEMS STARTED I TOLD THE STAFF I HAD LESS THAN 20 MIN. AFTER BEING TREATED I WAS SENT TO CARDIAC CARE WHERE THE NEXT DAY ON TWO DIFFERENT TIMES PEOPLE TRIED TO TOUCH ME AGAIN WITH LATEX THAT NIGHT AGAIN SOMEONE TRIED TO TOUCH ME WITH LATEX I FREAKED OUT IT WAS LATE ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS LEAVE I WAS SO AFRAID THEY WOULD KILL ME OH YEA YOU JUST SAID WHY DIDNT THEY KNOW I HAD AN ALLERGY WELL THERE WERE SIGNS EVERYWHERE ON THE DOOR THE BED ON MY ARM ON MY CHART I WANTED TO SIGN OUT AMA BUT I REALLY COULD NOT BREATH I AM TO AFRAID TO GET PROPER MEDICAL CARE

 

Leslye Joseph: Redding, CA

Allergic

to sick from a recent reaction to go iinto this

 

Katie Elsea: Iowa City, Iowa

Allergic

I have a sensitivity to latex not a full blown allergy. My mother has an allergy so bad that she has anaphylaxis and cant eat at certain resterants. I would like to see an end to latex products throughout the world. I would like people to become more educated about the dangers of latex exposure. Thanks

 

Carmen Scherich: Lake Stevens, Washington

Eliminating the manufacture and distribution of latex products will prevent un-knowing employees, potential un-caring employers, and all consumers from experiencing eventual death by latex allergy. There can not be any excuse for choosing to sell,buy and use latex products.

 

Mona Griffin: Southfield, MI

Allergic

I have removed all carpeting and upholstery from my home because of the latex in these poducts. I have found a place to buy latex free clothing (very limited selection). Life is challenging. For the most part I have to stay in every-other day. I have a mild spina bifida but the latex allergy that is a result of this is rather severe.

 

Home |Sitemap | Contact Us

Copyright 2018